Saturday 17 May 2014

Fork

Part of the "Dinnertime Collection"



A thick fog covered Grim Town like  warm wet duvet and under it ten thousand souls snored the night through making the fog rise and fall with each breath.... except Fork who was pacing.
".......497,498,499,500, stop turn 90degrees and 1,2,3,4........."
Fork had been pacing for a long time around the square he had made and every so often would mutter to himself, for everyone else was asleep " .....I knew it would happen...I knew it would happen....but did I stop...No.... just carried on and did it...I am going to be in so much trouble....I knew it would happen so why did I do it....." and so it went on as did the pacing.
Hour turned upon hour and still Fork paced, slowly making himself a track in the grass by the constant passing of his feet. Still he muttered.
A soft voice crept out of the shadows and held Forks attention like a warm cuddle
"Hello Fork, long time no see, watcha doin' ?"
"Pepper !! you scared the crap outta me, what are YOU doing out?"
"Just looking around, moochin', You?"
"Walking, trying to get up the courage to go home"
"Why watcha done Huh, somethin' bad?"
"Yup, real bad, gonna suffer for it this time"
"Watcha do ? Watcha do? Watcha DO ? HUH HUH HUH?"
"Don't want to say, it's real bad"
"Ah go on Fork, you can tell MEEEE, I'm your best mate"
"Are you ? Since when?"
"Uh since you had that operation? Not remember that I suppose, all the times I cleaned your wounds and kept it clean coz you were a lazy SOB and saved you from the 'Fection. NO suppose I'm not a friend if you don't remember that"
"I'm sorry Pepper of course I remember those bad days, when only you would come and see me becoz I stank so bad. It's just this bad thing I have done sort of getting me worried that it's gonna be the end of me."
"So What did you do that is soooooo bad? Kill someone?"
"Sort of"
"Waddya mean sort of ? Ya can't sort of kill someone, you either do or you don't"
"I did"
"What kill someone?"
"Yes"
"Who?"
"Bubba"
"Bubba ? That dumb ass? How? Why? Thought you were good friends?"
"We are, well were 'till I killed him"
"Come on Fork, let's have the whole story"
"We were only playing, like you do"
"OK"
"We were playing chase, done it hundreds of times. I chase him ..tag.. then he chases me ..tag… and so on 'till we got bored"
"Yeah and so...How?"
"OK....He tagged me so I chased him and was just going to tag him when he stopped suddenly, and I realised I couldn't stop in time, couldn't stop tagging him and It was then I bit his head off. Should've nipped his ass as usual but he turned around and it was done. Now they're gonna kill me for it I just know it"
"Don't be stupid Bubba was only a freakin Budgie, so what's it matter?"
"They loved him so much"
"Oh and they don't love you?"
"Not now I've got Bubbas' head inside me"
"You'll be okay, take it from me mate, stay away for a few days before you go home and they will be so glad to see you. Probably think you went after whoever ate Bubba"
"Hmmm you know, that could be a good plan, can I stay at yours for a couple of days?"
"Sure mate, what friends are for, now........."
And with the fog drifting into the deepest shadows the two cats walked off into the gloom happy with their plan and looking forward to breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment